Saturday, June 19, 2010

Self-Study

Having completed the most recent work of prose fiction I've been reading earlier this week (The Shadow Rising, Book 4 of the Wheel of Time series by author Robert Jordan) I have resolved not to continue with that series or indulge myself in any other prose fiction until I have either begun the coming science filled fall semester of classes at MCTC or completed reading two works of science focused non-fiction. First of these two texts is my Wife's textbook for her Introduction to Chemistry coursLinke at MCTC. While I was able to get my self placed to take Principles of Chemistry this fall, skipping the Intro course and proceeding directly to the college level course on the subject I believe it would be wise to refresh my memory on theLink basics of the subject a little bit (and perhaps begin drilling myself on the Periodic Table as well) before I jump back into it in an academic context.

The second text I mean to read (perhaps I ought to say re-read) is The Physics of Superheroes by Professor James Kakalios of the University of Minnesota [Twin Cities]. This is aLink phenomenally fun book and I would suggest it be read by . . . anybody semi-literate in English (or any other language it may have been translated to). This book is really great. I read it shortly after it was first published; purchased directly from the author himself at Minnesota's then premiere annual comic book convention, FallCon. Man-oh-man, if only I'd been paying closer attention to the Freshman Seminars when I entered the U of MN back in Fall of 1999. Perhaps I'd have taken the course that was the basis for this publication and found myself focused back on the sciences, where I belong, that much earlier in my life! But I digress . . . In any case, I cannot stress enough how informative, accessible and laugh-out-loud funny this book is. If you've ever had even the remotest interest in superheroes, physics, or even broad trivia I strongly advocate that you read this book.

N.B. Rampant use of links in this post done without the website owner's knowledge. Hopefully that won't cause any legal problems or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment