Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Job Hunt 2010: The Search Continues

UPS not necessarily being the holy grail of going-back-to-school-employment I had believed it to be I am now desperately seeking other possible employers that offer [family] medical benefits at part time. So far my research has indicated that I definitely should apply with Whole Foods, Target, Barnes & Noble, Starbucks (I really don't want to work there), and Walgreen's (downside there being benefits are available at 30+ hours). All of those companies have locations relatively close to me that may be able to offer employment. There is a busable Trader Joe's as well, and they look quite good on the benefits too, but don't seem to have any opening for the moment. Fed-Ex apparently may offer similar opportunities in terms of benefits to UPS as may the United States Postal Service, so I can look into those as possible employment options as well. Government work provides rather good benefits for all types of employment but it may be difficult to find a part time position with the necessary flexibility of hours. I seem to remember Aldi providing benefits at 30 hours a week, but I don't know if they do so at less. A part time, benefit offering work-study job would be a really sweet deal. I can investigate if any of those might be available as the semester approaches. Cost Plus World Market and Lowe's apparently offer pretty good benefits at part time, but I'm not aware of any locations that would be very easy for me to get to. I wonder if Americorps might be an option? Honestly, I'll scrub toilets if I have to. I just need appropriate hours, a little bit of money (assuming sufficient financial aid) and health care for medication and emergencies. I better start applying for jobs.

2 comments:

  1. You might also check out CostCo. I hear they offer decent wages and their website says they do have a medical plan for part-time employees. I know there is one in SLP, which wouldn't be an impossible bus route.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, did you lose your gig at 3M?

    ReplyDelete